Monday 6 December 2010

Day Six: Grainne McKenna


Grainne:

Wee Bridie! Where to even begin! You have known me longer than most people in my life, watched me grow- and more important helped me grown into the person I am today.

I feel as though I owe so much, you have been a part of some of the most formative experiences of my life, and even helped me get the job I have now! My first memory is on the beach in Ballycastle, doing a team building exercise. I was struggling, really having a hard time giving it a go and I told you I was going to walk home, just leave the group if I had to do it. I will never forget the words of encouragement you gave me, you told me to let people support me and 'let go of your stuff and fly'. You have since said that to me twice, and both times I have pushed myself further than I would have had I not had your encouragement.

You are one of a handful of people I look up to both personally and professionally. I try and use some of the ways of working that I saw you incorperate with me when I was a young person. It is very rare that you get to work alongside someone who has had as huge impact on you as you have done with me, its one of the reasons I feel blessed to be in youth work.

Aside from the youth worky style help, you have always been on hand to offer support in the context of a friend. No matter what is going on with me, I always feel like you care.

There are not enough words or superlatives in the dictionary to properly define who you are and what you mean to me (and so many others in NICE- but for now I will speak for me!). This is just a tiny blog that goes no way to fully capturing all of what you are and what you mean.

I just want to thank you for you support, your encouragement, for watching me, for seeing me, for trusting me with your babbies (!!), for being a great and inspiring youth worker but most of all, for being a friend!

Love, gingers, Belgian beers, Romanian fancy men, Serbian heatstroke and two of the most adorable children this side of Augher. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment